Friday, December 09, 2005

 

I put some MARS in my shopping cart

Well, the week is over and it's time to tally the results. My portfoio ended up gaining $3,136 (0.5 percent), which compares favorably with the S&P 500 (down 0.5 percent), NASDAQ (down 0.7 percent), and Russell 2000 (down 0.3 percent).

I picked up 1,000 shares of Marsh Supermarkets (ticker MARSB, MARSA is also available). The company recently announced that it has put itself up for sale, and has hired Merrill Lynch to assist them. Although the company's business is struggling, the stock is training at a very low multiple to revenue (even by grocery chain standards) and below tangible book value. I think when the sale occurs, the selling price will be at a decent premium to where the stock is currently trading.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?