Wednesday, October 25, 2006

 

Missed an easy lay-up on ACSEF

Up 0.2 percent yesterday and up another 0.2 percent today. Because I work full time, I do not devote much attention to the stock market during the day. Usually that's not so much of a problem because I don't daytrade so there is no need for me to focus on my positions every minute of the trading day. However, every once in a while, an easy lay-up will arise and I just won't be able to react in time. Case in point, DJ screwed up today in reporting ACSEF's earnings:

News for 'ACSEF' - (*DJ ACS Motion Control 3Q EPS 44c Vs 21c>ACSEF)

(MORE TO FOLLOW) Dow Jones Newswires
October 25, 2006 14:32 ET (18:32 GMT)
Copyright (c) 2006 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.- - 02 32 PM EDT 10-25-06

Source: DJ Broad Tape
Compliments of Scottrade.com

It would have been great if that were true, but in fact, ACSEF only earned 9 cents a share. Within a minute, DJ corrected the story but by then, enough traders had been suckered in to send the stock up 18 percent. Unfortunately, by the time I noticed the Scottrade news alert in my inbox, the dust had settled and ACSEF was already down 10 percent for the day (a 28 percentage point swing in a few minutes!). Oh well.

Comments:
Where do you get your ideas for your stocks, i.e. how do you generate "leads"? Do you subscribe to any online investment or stock trading newsletters? Thanks.
 
I get most of my ideas from the stock screens that I run.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?